There were several people's birthday this week and last week at work. So I decided to get my act together and finally cook some cupcakes for the office. I convinced my friend Marea that lives down the street from to help me cook Pink champagne cupcakes. They were easier than I thought and they were really good.
Here is some photos of the process..
- 18 1/4 ounces white cake mix, no pudding, and must be white to taste champagne
- 1/2-3/4 cup champagne, chilled ( pink, white, sweet, dry)
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup champagne
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 5 -5 1/2 cups additional powdered sugar
- Use a box of white cake mix (NO pudding) and substitute champagne - 1/2 to 3/4 cup to replace all of the liquid called for in the cake mix. So if the box says 3/4 cup water replace with 3/4 cup champagne. I did use one that had 1 1/4 cups water and replaced with champagne, just depends on the cake mix brand you buy. The kind of champagne/sparkling wine (pink, white, sweet, dry) used will determine the flavor. I usually just buy the cheap pink sparkling stuff in the grocery store, it's sweet and yummy in this!
- Tint with red food coloring to a soft pink, use a drop at a time, this stuff will stain, probably take about 3 drops.
- Bake cake as instructed on box. I usually make in 9x13-inch pan, but for an elegant layer cake use two 9 round cake pans, a heart pan would be perfect for Valentine's Day!
- Creamy champagne frosting:.
- Beat 1 cup softened butter for 30 seconds. Gradually add 4 cups powdered sugar.
- Beat in 1/4 cup milk, 1/4 cup champagne, and 1 TB vanilla.
- Beat in 5-5 1/2 more cups powdered sugar till you can spread it or is consistency you want.