Thursday, March 17, 2011

Politics in the word Volunteer?

I'm one of those people that crave and need a busy life. I get bored and annoyed easily and I'm always looking for the next best thing. I really enjoy getting involved in my community, you meet people, not so great people, have fun and overall have the reward of knowing you have given your time and effort into something that is for a good cause. 

I'm not sure if volunteering your time comes with a child or what. I wasn't really interested in volunteer work until I had my daughter. Oh Mack I love you! Volunteer work is fun and 

I'm really getting into it. Until last night... 

I guess I never realized that there can be politics in the volunteer world. I mean shit, I'm tired of politics and the way things are run in my own state (bless California) and this country. The last thing I want to do is attend a volunteers meeting and feel like the independent party that doesn't have a chance in hell getting elected, listened too or feel valid.

The reason I volunteer for a certain organization and foundation is for the kids in our community. I help raise money and donate my time for programs for the kids. It's a great place for the kids to go and play, make friends and be creative. With recent budget cuts across the country and mainly our state, local grants are coming far and few. 

I'm not sure if it's because of where I live, but there are some mom's out there that think there shit don't stink and they are a A class mom because there kid goes to private school and I spend most of my time spending my husbands money, playing with my phone, talking shit and what they have and what they wear. I mean com'on. We are hear to raise money and give our time for each other's children. It's for the kids remember.

Last Week was the annual fundraiser for the local kids spot in our town. It's a museum type place for the kids to go play and do arts. When you have 10-15 feet of snow in your yard or get total for the winter, this place rocks to take your kid to for a couple of hours. 

Therefore, we have to be on our fundraising A games to keep this placed alive and be able to make changes and grow.

I'm just a little disappointed with some of the people on the board and committee and even some other volunteers that have lost sight of why we are actually there. It's for the kids. Not who is cool and who does what. 

Volunteers are selfless and overall good people, don't let the bullies and people that think they are better than you ruin it for you. 

What are your experiences with volunteering? Do share any frustrations? 

ShareThis